What a difference a week can make.

After last week’s utter collapse in the final event, the floor exercise, the Michigan women’s gymnastics team exorcised some of its demons in a tri meet against No. 6 Nebraska and Illinois.

The Wolverines beat the Cornhuskers and Fighting Illini 195.825-195.350-192.525, due in large part to a season-high performance on the dreaded floor exercise (49.225).

Going into this weekend, Michigan coach Bev Plocki made sure there would be no repeat of last week.

“After last weekend, we had three awesome events, and just relaxed and let it slip away from us in the final event,” Plocki said. “That’s what we talked a lot about this week.”

Ironically, Michigan went into its final rotation this weekend in the exact same position as last weekend – first place.

But instead of falling to the same fate, the Wolverine gymnasts triumphed.

As the crowd cheered on No. 8 Michigan, sophomore Huneth Lor and junior Katie Lieberman started off with back-to-back scores of 9.825. Then junior Nellie Kippley tied her career-best score of 9.875. Earlier in the competition, sophomore Becky Bernard had a very uncharacteristic fall from the beam, but she bounced back and scored a 9.825 on floor. Four performances in and the Wolverines were doing much better than last week’s performance, but there was still one performance left.

Finally, it was sophomore phenom Tatjana Thuener-Rego’s turn. The buzz in Criselr Arena rose to its highest peak as the crowd awaited Thuener-Rego’s always-entertaining floor exercise. And with her all-around title and Michigan victory on the line, she wowed the 2,117 in attendance, especially the jumpy student section, with a score of 9.875.

But Michigan didn’t have its best performance of the year prior to floor. Three Wolverines scored 9.600 or below on the beam, statistically the team’s second-strongest event going into the competition. But since Nebraska didn’t bring their “A game” to Ann Arbor, the Wolverines were still able to sneak out with a victory.

Nonetheless, Michigan (9-1) finished strong, which is exactly what Plocki wanted to see.

“I was really happy to see them come back from beam, being a little disappointed,” Plocki said.

Michigan’s second-highest total score of the season, 195.825, was nearly a half-point better than its season average and will most likely move the team up in the rankings for the third consecutive week.

Despite their top-10 ranking, the Wolverines were the underdog this weekend. Not only did they pull off the upset beating Nebraska, the win will give Michigan something it will need later on this season.

“I think the win will make our kids feel a little bit better about themselves that they were able to beat a higher-ranked team,” Plocki said. “And that’s good because we got some very talented contests coming up. We are going to Utah, going to Georgia. Those ones are going to be tough.”

But for the moment, the Wolverines couldn’t be happier with their performance this past weekend. And neither could Thuener-Rego.

The Miami native took home first place in bars, scoring a 9.900, for her fourth straight bars title of the season. She also tied for second on beam (9.800) and did the same on floor. In the process, she captured her second all-around title this year.

“Once I do one event really well it helps me to go through all of the events and it just helps me to keep it going,” Theuner-Rego said.

Kippley also had a successful evening. She tied for second on floor with Theuner-Rego, finished second on the all-around (39.350) and captured the individual title on beam (9.825).

“Overall, we have now shown that we can be great in all four events,” Plocki said. “We just have to be great in all four events in the same day.”