The Michigan baseball team fell to the Boilermakers of Purdue 8-5 in a chilly game at Ray Fisher Stadium on Friday night.

The Wolverines (2-2 Big Ten, 16-11 overall) couldn’t solve Purdue starter Matt Bischoff, who came in to the game fresh off winning his second Big Ten Pitcher of the Week award of the season. Bischoff was brilliant, going eight innings and allowing just two runs on seven hits and striking out nine.

Senior right-hander Alan Oaks continued his recent slump, getting chased after giving up six runs in six innings. Oaks struggled to keep the ball down, and the Boilermakers (2-2 Big Ten, 14-13 overall) jumped all over him from the start, scoring twice in both the first and second innings.

Michigan never recovered. The team cut the deficit to 5-2 after scoring a run in the bottom of the fifth, but the Boilermakers answered when rightfielder Barret Arthur launched a two-run homer to right field off junior reliever Travis Smith in the top of the seventh, essentially sealing the game.

The Wolverines will attempt to even the series in tomorrow’s 1 p.m. game. Redshirt freshman left-hander Bobby Brosnahan (3-2, 4.36) will take the mound for the Wolverines. He will be opposed by Purdue’s Blake Mascarello (1-2, 2.61).