YPSILANTI — The Division-III Alma College Scots boast a kilt-clad marching band, Scottish dance troupe and student pipers. Before Friday, the Alma baseball team was 1-6 with just one one-run win against the College of Staten Island. They have been outscored 54-16 this season by powerhouses such as the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and Christopher Newport University.

But on Saturday, the Scots took the Michigan baseball team into 12 innings in the opening game of the Oestrike Classic in Ypsilanti before a walk-off single by junior third baseman John Lorenz won the game for the Wolverines 4-3.

Michigan led for most of the game after they took a one-run lead thanks to an RBI by sophomore shortstop Derek Dennis in the first inning. Redshirt sophomore right-hander Tyler Mills pitched seven innings of shutout ball before running into trouble in the eighth. Up 3-1, junior right-hander Kevin Vangheluwe relieved Mills with one out and two men on, but struggled with his command. He walked three out of the four batters he faced to allow Alma to tie the game at 3.

In the bottom of the 12th inning, freshman right fielder Michael O’Neill led off with a triple. After a walk and an intentional walk, John Lorenz hit a bloop single over the second baseman — who was playing in — to score O’Neill and win the game.

O’Neill led the Wolverines with four hits and extended his hitting streak to 16 games, one in each game of his college career.