Playoff hockey, anyone?

Michigan beat Notre Dame 3-2 tonight in a game featuring nothing short of a championship-esque atmosphere.

Just 20 seconds remained on the clock when freshman Louie Caporousso ran full-speed into the boards celebrating his game-winning goal.

Forward Brandon Naurato found Caporousso on the opposite side of the crease, and Caporrouso poked it in to complete the Wolverines’ improbable comeback.

Goaltender Billy Sauer is having arguably his best season as a Wolverine, but to say he had a shaky start tonight is an understatement

With just over three minutes ticked off the first-period clock, Irish sophomore Kevin Deeth slipped out of a scrum in the Notre Dame zone with the puck and brought it the length of the ice. Deeth went top shelf, faking out Sauer, who stooped low to defend the shot.

It didn’t take long for the Irish to bulk up their lead, either.

Forward Justin White took a swift pass from freshman Ryan Guentzel after another Michigan turnover in the Irish zone. White got behind the Wolverine defense and made due with his breakaway opportunity.

Sauer hadn’t given up two goals in a period since Dec. 7, a span that lasted 13 periods.

It was the first two-goal deficit Michigan had found itself in since a 3-2 loss to Ohio State on Nov. 30.

After one of the most lackluster periods the Wolverines have had this year, it didn’t take long for Michigan to launch itself back into back into contention.

The Wolverines took a man advantage in the second period, and just 21 second later senior Hobey Baker award-finalist Kevin Porter sent a rocket past Irish netminder Jordan Pearce.

The sellout Yost Ice Arena crowd erupted, and the Wolverines stole back whatever momentum Notre Dame had build up with its two-goal lead.

Freshman Matt Rust made things even more interesting. Rust reeled in a pass from Aaron Palushaj, and with the Irish defense still staring him down, Rust ripped a slapshot from the top of the circle and found net.

Those two goals set up one of the most dramatic third periods of the season. Both teams battled back and forth, each not capitalizing on key opportunities to grab a lead.

Michigan and Notre Dame will square off again tomorrow night at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Check the Michigan Daily Tuesday for more in-depth coverage from the weekend’s action.