The Michigan men”s swimming team has a chance this weekend to see if its extended training stint translates into results. The Wolverines travel to Austin, Texas for the Texas Invitational, one month after their last meet a 20-point victory over Georgia.

Michigan spent the first part of November in intense workouts, hitting the weight room and doing plymetrics in addition to putting in extra time in the pool. The team then had an opportunity to recuperate.

“We had a nice two and a half weeks of training and everybody went home for the holiday,” coach Jon Urbanchek said. “I think they”re all rested up and recovered.”

Despite the month-long gap between meets, Urbanchek doesn”t expect Michigan to show any signs of rust in Austin. He said the training period has made the Wolverines anxious to get back to competing.

Senior Tim Siciliano said the Wolverines have confidence left over from winning their first four dual meets.

The fast start to the season is “still fresh in our minds, and we”re still happy about that and want to keep it going,” Siciliano said.

Michigan will face the best of the NCAA at the Texas Invitational. As Urbanchek said, “everyone” will be there.

Defending national champion Texas, currently ranked No. 2 in the College Swimming Coaches Association of America poll, hosts the event. Other top-10 teams include Southern Cal, Arizona and Auburn.

Although most of the NCAA Championship contenders will be in attendance, Urbanchek doesn”t see the Texas Invitational as an indicator of how the ninth-ranked Wolverines will fare at the national title meet in March. Because it”s still early in the season, most teams won”t be in top form.

Arizona, which shaves for this invitational, is one of only a few teams that will attempt to qualify for the NCAAs in Austin. Most collegiate teams shave when they need to post their best times of the year.

Instead, the Wolverines plan to use this weekend as a measure of progress made during the last month. It will be looking for improved times and strong showings in the relays.

“This is a great time to put some good times on the board and maybe show the other guys what we can do,” Siciliano said.

Siciliano is one of Michigan”s individuals who should shine. The three-time-defending national champion in the 400-meter individual medley expects to see the same opponents in the final heat as he”ll meet at NCAAs.

“I”ve never really swam well in-season,” Siciliano said. “I”ve really been working on my individual medley and I”m anxious to show them I”m still around. It”s a great place to maybe put a little fear into them.”