As if the Michigan men’s basketball team needed any more bad news, it learned late last week that sophomore walk-on Chris Aguwa will be out for approximately three months to treat blood clots in his leg.

“I had some pain in my leg, and it lasted like a week or a week and a half,” Aguwa said. “The team doctor looked at it Wednesday, and he had me go to the hospital for some more tests – it’s a setback, but it’s definitely something I can live with.”

Aguwa is a native of West Bloomfield and played high school basketball at Birmingham Brother Rice.

The 6-foot-7 forward was awarded a spot on Michigan’s roster after the Wolverines’ annual walk-on tryouts in October, along with sophomore guard Dani Wohl.

Aguwa is hopeful that he will be able to see action at some point this season.

Pain in the ankles: Michigan State suffered another blow to its guard position, when freshman Maurice Ager suffered a stress fracture in his right foot over the weekend.

Ager started for sophomore Kelvin Torbert – who is out of the Spartans’ lineup for three weeks following ankle surgery – when Michigan State dropped an exhibition matchup with the Magic Johnson’s All-Stars on Nov. 1.

“It’s disappointing for us, but even more disappointing for Maurice because he was really starting to play better and better,” Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said. “It’s another bit of adversity that we’ll have to deal with – this is ‘Ankle U.’ I guess.”

The Spartans are targeting the Dec. 4 game against Virginia as a return date for Ager.

Elsewhere in Michigan State news, former starting guard Marcus Taylor – who last year left the Spartans for the NBA – was cut by the Minnesota Timberwolves and is currently trying to earn a spot in the National Basketball Developmental League.

Lion down: Penn State’s outlook for this season was not looking especially promising to begin with.

But after learning that projected starting forward Daren Tielsch had left the team and the school, the Nittany Lions appear to be in real trouble.

The sophomore averaged just four points and 3.4 rebounds per game last year coming off of the Nittany Lions’ bench last season.

“We are all saddened by Daren’s sudden departure, but we wish him nothing but the very best,” Penn State coach Jerry Dunn said. “He is a great kid and was a fine member of the Penn State basketball family, and we all wish him well.”

Dunn said that Tielsch missed the Nittany Lions’ exhibition game with the EA Sports All-Stars on Wednesday because of personal problems, but did not give a reason why Tielsch had left the team permanently.

Hoosier A.D.?: Indiana Athletic Director Michael McNeely resigned from his position on Friday, with the department reportedly suffering major financial problems.

According to McNeely’s own statistics, presented in September, the Hoosiers’ athletic department held a $1million deficit.

“I wish Michael the very best in his future endeavors and thank him for his efforts while at I.U.,” Indiana President Myles Brand said in a statement.

Indiana has named Terry Clapacs, Vice President for Administration, to fill the interim athletic director position.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.