Central Student Government President Bobby Dishell, a Public Policy senior, announced Monday morning that he has decided to veto a resolution that would have encouraged the University to become a signatory on the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment.

The CSG Assembly originally passed the legislation March 24 with 22 assembly members in favor and 12 opposed.

Signing the ACUPCC would commit the University to initiate two or more actions to reduce net greenhouse gas emissions from certain campus operations as outlined by the Commitment.

Dishell said in an e-mail statement that while the Commitment’s aspiration to promote sustainability is positive goal, he is vetoing the resolution because the Commitment sets a specific target date by which the University would be expected to reach net climate neutrality.

“The University cannot, with sound investment in mind, commit to the ACUPCC because there is no way to concretely determine that these goals will be met by that target date,” Dishell wrote in the statement.

He also said it would be unnecessary for the University to pay the member fees associated with signing the ACUPCC when it is already making advancements in sustainability at little to no cost.

LSA freshman Joseph Hansel, the LSA Student Government representative who presented the resolution to the CSG Assembly, said though he is disappointed, he believes Dishell made an informed decision.

“It is my hope, and the hope of many students on this campus, that CSG continues to hear student concerns related to sustainability and continues to promote informed dialogue about the effects of certain sustainable practices,” Hansel said. “The University of Michigan contains some of the brightest minds at the forefront of sustainability and through their efforts the prospect of climate neutrality is attainable.”

Hansel said the purpose of the resolution was to show University President Mark Schlissel that students support the University signing the ACUPCC, and though Dishell decided to veto the bill, its purpose has been achieved.