The Black Eyed Peas sure know how to throw a great party.

The Black Eyed Peas

The Beginning
Interscope

On its sixth studio album, The Beginning, the California crew is up to its old party-hearty antics. As a follow up to 2009’s smash hit, The E.N.D., The Beginning works hard to live up to its pop predecessor. Here the Grammy-winning group showcases its already recognized propensity to create a sensational hip-hop party album that can get any festivity a-poppin’.

The Beginning consists entirely of captivating club-ready tunes and pulsating beats. For the entire 60 minutes, listeners will likely be unable to control themselves.

First single “The Time (Dirty Bit)” gets the party started. As vocalist and producer will.i.am mashes up lyrics like, “I don’t want to take no pictures / I just want to take some shots” and samples from the “Dirty Dancing” theme song “(I’ve Had) The Time of my Life,” a fiesta is fired up. Auto-tuned vocals and broken-up beats create an amazing dance groove. The Black Eyed Peas take hints from electro-house music sensation Deadmau5, with laser-like synths and head-bopping rhythms.

The house nod doesn’t stop there. “Don’t Stop The Party” and “Light Up The Night” feature explosive dance beats and clever rhymes would get any member of the “Jersey Shore” cast’s fists pumping, though they probably wouldn’t know — or care — whether the lyrics were clever.

The Beginning shows the great range the hip-hop band has to offer. On songs like “Love You Long Time” and “XOXOXO,” ’80s synth keyboard sounds wipe across the tracks, creating a space-lounge feel. On “XOXOXO,” futuristic effects mesh with text-messaging lingo as the band raps: “I’ll be waiting for your text / I miss your XOXOXO / Girl, you’re X-O-X-O-lent.” In a complete detour from the rest of the album, “Whenever” starts off with an acoustic guitar. But in the end, Fergie’s soft tone finally meets up with gentle disco beats, creating an ambiance that matches the danceability of other tracks on The Beginning.

The Black Eyed Peas step a bit more off course with the inclusion of catwalk-crazy “Fashion Beats” — a track on which fashion and music collide. The song is reminiscent of Madonna’s “Vogue” mixed with the Ru Paul hit “Cover Girl.” Will.i.am sings, “And it’s in fashion to be blastin’ those beats.” The song gets a bit strange when Fergie starts to sing-talk and spit random fashion jargon à la Madonna on “Vogue” — the Black Eyed Peas should leave the trendy talk to the queen.

Though a spectrum of sounds are present on The Beginning, each song carries a similar beat, making it harder to distinguish one track from the rest. Unfortunately, each track loses its unique sound, and the quality of the album becomes lost.

But if you’re looking for an album full of party anthems, you’ve come to the right place. The Black Eyed Peas’ newest album proves worthy of a tip-top dance party album. The entire record is a huge rave, so grab your glow sticks and neon sweatbands; this is only The Beginning of the party of a lifetime.