An anonymous Rackham student is more careful now when using public computers and keeps close track of her e-mail account. She said the cause of her new precautions is former Rackham student Ning Ma, who allegedly hacked into the e-mail accounts and personal network spaces of more than 60 University students and professors.

Ma, who was arrested and arraigned two weeks ago, has been charged by Attorney General Mike Cox on 23 counts involving eavesdropping and unauthorized access to computers.

Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Diane Brown said last Friday that Ma was arraigned on additional charges of resisting and obstructing a police officer on the day of his arrest. She said Ma is still in jail as he has not posted the $100,000 he needs for bail. DPS would not confirm specific charges or Ma’s victims because of the ongoing investigation.

James Hilton, associate provost for academic, information and instructional technology affairs at the University, said Ma used a keystroke tracking program to hack into e-mail accounts and access personal network storage areas. The technology can detect every word typed, every mouse click, every e-mail sent, etc. and can be purchased by anyone who wants to monitor their personal computer, or in Ma’s case, public computers.

The student said Information and Technology Central Services told her Ma had hacked into her account.

“I know that some of the important e-mails like job interviews or these e-mails just disappeared,” she said.

She said Ma, a fellow financial engineering major whom she had considered her friend, sometimes knew things that she hadn’t told him.

“Sometimes when he talk about things I found out that he knew very personal, private stuff that I never tell anybody,” she said.

The student also alleges that Ma used a professor’s e-mail account to get waivers for several prerequisites to his major.

The student said ITCS told her to be careful when using public computers and advised her to change her password frequently. They also recommended creating passwords of 13 to 16 digits and using both capital letters and small letters, as well as some numbers and signs.

Hilton said the University frequently reviews its security procedures.

“We are examining again the way access to computers is done. So obviously we are trying to learn from the incidents.”

But some students say they are not that concerned about the security of their accounts. LSA sophomore Sarah Babka said she has never taken precautions in the past.

“To be honest, I haven’t even changed my password. I honestly don’t think about it. It’s just something that doesn’t bother me,” she said.

“As far as my e-mail and stuff, I really don’t have anything that confidential that I keep in my account, nothing I’m worried about.”