Time travel movies never make sense.

Now hear me, I’m not saying that time travel movies suck. I love “Back to the Future” as much as the next guy, but in terms of the concept of going back in time, changing something, and coming back to a different (or not different) future has never clicked with me.

Take the “Terminator” series for example. Three times Arnold came back to change the future, and three times nothing ended up happening – the robots still blew everything up. Don’t pretend to know what happened in “Donnie Darko,” either. You’re lying. And don’t even get me started on “The Lake House.”

The point to be made is that it’s nearly impossible to craft a cohesive storyline involving time travel. Thank God the geniuses behind “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” realized this. Armed with an unknown cast, a preposterous storyline and special effects that look suspiciously like Microsoft screensavers, they managed to turn it all into something classic.

The plot is simple enough. Two slackers have to write a history paper, a guy from the future shows up in a time-traveling phone booth, they go back in time to kidnap historical figures to give their reports for them. And then Bill and Ted play these really weird guitars at the end making them some sort of demi-gods in the future.

Sure yanking people like Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan out of history might you know, alter the future, but we don’t care in “Bill and Ted.” Thankfully, logic has almost all but been left out of the film, leaving us only with classic moments like Napolean frolicking in a water park and calling the great Greek thinker “So-crates.”

The movie starts with a then unknown Keanu Reeves and the still unknown Alex Winter. Both perform adequately as the predecessors to stars of stoner buddy comedies such as “Dude, Where’s My Car?” or “Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle.” Even though this is arguably Reeves best roles, he has gone on to more box office success, if not critical acclaim. And Alex Winter? I think there was a kid in my high school named Alex Winter. That’s all I’ve got.

Modern comedies have a lot to learn from “Bill and Ted.” It is a “journey” movie á la “Road Trip” and “EuroTrip,” but it breaks from traditional shenanigans to incorporate time travel and a subsequent smattering of historical icons. Sure, the entire journey might have actually been in their heads as some sort of mushroom trip, but does that really matter at this point?