On June 15, 1971, the University’s Student Services Housing Policy Board lifted a ban against premarital sex in the dorms. The ban, which was put in place by the Board of Governors of Residence Halls in 1968, was deemed ineffective and impossible to enforce.

A policy board member told the Daily at the time that banning premarital sex and cohabitation from the residence halls was “useless.”

“(The policy) has never been enforced and cannot be enforced,’ ” the board member said.

The decision to ban premarital sex in the residence halls — along with other housing policies — was determined through secret ballot by the residents of each University housing unit’s residents.

After the decision had been made, the Board of Governors echoed the students’ decision calling premarital sex “unacceptable in University housing units.”

Students at the time weren’t even aware that the policy existed.

“I didn’t even know they had such a rule,” one junior told the Daily at the time. “My friend lived with her boyfriend in South Quad all last semester and nobody raised a fuss.”

John Feldkamp, then-housing director and policy board member, had a different, more serious view of the ban.

“(Dormitory residents) must exercise due regard for the welfare of their fellow students and for the facilities in which they reside,” Feldkamp told the Daily, citing a clause in the information bulletin about residence hall life.

Feldkamp also said that two students had been expelled under the ban in 1968.

Most current students don’t have to worry about being punished for engaging in premarital sex in the residence halls. In many dorms, including Mary Markley Hall and South Quad, there are no rules against visitors in the rooms.

But at Martha Cook Building, a female-only residence hall, there are still regulations for male visitors. The residents must escort their guests while they are in the building. Male visitation hours are from noon to midnight from Sundays to Thursdays, and are extended from noon to 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.