“Beverly Hills Chihuahua”
At Quality 16 and Showcase
Walt Disney Pictures

“Beverly Hills Chihuahua” is Walt Disney’s version of “The Simple Life.” Instead of Paris Hilton, the movie places an equally filthy animal — a Chihuahua named Chloe — as the star. Chloe, voiced by Drew Barrymore (“50 First Dates”), is a spoiled, pampered pup that lives the doggy-dream life in posh Beverly Hills. Through some outrageous mishaps, Chloe is separated from her caretaker and caught in Mexico City’s dog-fighting scandal.

You’d think that with such a “creative” and “thought-provoking” premise the movie would target precocious children and highly intelligent individuals. Furthermore, it could highlight the atrocities of underground dog fighting while providing a fresh look at Mexico’s rich culture.

Wrong. Disney is known for crafting engaging plots that appeal to both children and adults while teaching some basic, human life lessons, but this film doesn’t fit in with the studio’s old classics. “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” is not only a very boring movie, but it also contains none of the charm so closely associated with many now-classic Disney movies, such as “The Lion King.” Additionally, the movie will probably do a poor job of holding the attention spans of children, with few action scenes and many lengthy moments of dialogue.

Despite Disney’s many successes, it inevitably releases a movie every once in a while that is an utter flop. “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” is one of those. This puppy needs to be put down.