Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson has chosen not to have his longer-term future with the team unknown any longer. The 72-year-old Berenson agreed to terms to remain with the program through the 2015-16 season, athletic director Dave Brandon announced Monday.

Berenson is currently in the final season of his contract, but the extension will keep him in Ann Arbor for three additional seasons, which will be spent in the newly formed Big Ten Hockey Conference. Berenson will turn 76 in the final year of the extension.

“I’m pleased that the administration and the program are looking ahead,” Berenson said in a press release. “I’m excited about the opportunity to remain at Michigan, especially with the current Yost renovations, the move to the Big Ten and for our incoming recruits. We have a great staff here and I’m looking forward to the next few years at Michigan.”

Berenson, who played his college hockey at Michigan from 1960 to 1962, has been the coach of the program since 1984. Under his leadership, the program has reached a record of 22 consecutive NCAA Tournament berths.

“Red is an icon in the sport and the one of the most recognizable names in college hockey,” Brandon said in a press release. “We are glad that he agreed to continue leading our hockey program for the foreseeable future. Red’s dedication to Michigan and our program is a major reason for our success. I’m excited that he will continue molding the lives of the young men who skate for Michigan.”

Berenson is currently fifth on the NCAA’s all-time wins list. He has compiled a 752-352-77 record in 28 seasons as head coach. Under Berenson, the Wolverines won national titles in 1996 and 1998. He was named the National Coach of the Year after the 2008 championship.

In the 2011-12 season, Michigan went 24-13-4, reaching the NCAA Tournament for the 22nd-straight time. There, the Wolverines saw their season end, 3-2, during the tournament’s first round in overtime against Cornell.