A memorial service was held Tuesday at the Michigan Union for Kinesiology Prof. Bernard Patrick “Pat” Maloy. Maloy, 54, died last Wednesday at home after a yearlong struggle with esophageal cancer.

Maloy taught sports law, management and communications classes in the Division of Kinesiology for 15 years.

“He would have to go to Cava Java to grade papers sometimes because students would constantly knock on his door for advice,” Kinesiology Prof. Pat Van Volkinburg said. “He was that highly respected.”

“He was an incredible teacher,” said Van Volkinburg. “He won our Michigan teaching excellence award with a unanimous decision by our panel of students.”

Maloy also participated in the University”s mentorship program as a faculty mentor.

“He resigned his post as professor only after the cancer had spread to his lungs and the oxygen that he needed to survive conflicted with his lecturing abilities. On his final day, he was still attempting to grade our midterms because he felt sincerely bad they had not been passed back yet,” said Kinesiology senior Rick Mestdagh, one of Maloy”s students.

Maloy began his career with a law practice in North Judson, Ind., but he returned to graduate school several years later to study sports administration. Upon graduation, he took a corporate management job with MDS Qantel, a computer company specializing in dealings with teams in the National Football League, National Basketball Association and several universities.

In 1986, Maloy was offered a teaching position at the University of Michigan.

“Pat thought Michigan was the only university in the country with the highest academic standards intersected with the highest athletic standards,” said Nora Maloy, Pat Maloy”s wife of 31 years, who holds a doctorate from the School of Public Health. “He told me, “When Michigan calls, there”s no way to turn it down.””

During his tenure at Michigan, Maloy was a member of the Kinesiology Executive Committee, the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs, the University Residency Appeals Committee, the Advisory Committee to the University Safety and Security Committee, the Seminar on Teaching Committee and the University Experiential Education Committee.

“He was the happiest person at this university for 15 years,” his wife said. “He loved his job and he loved his students.”

The family and Division of Kinesiology have created a memorial scholarship fund, the Bernard Patrick Maloy Award for Writing Excellence.

“Pat really prized getting his students to think critically and articulate their thoughts in their writing,” said Kinesiology Prof. Bruce Watkins. “This award will be given annually to a student who best exemplifies clarity and critical thinking about an issue in sports and public policy.”

“There is a tendency among those of us in the University community to feel as if we”ve been cheated by Pat”s passing last week,” Watkins said during Tuesday”s memorial service for Maloy in the Michigan Union. “But in reality we weren”t cheated at all rather we were lucky and blessed to be his students, his colleagues, his friends.”

The Division of Kinesiology is accepting donations for an award fund in memory of Maloy. Checks should be made out to “UM-Pat Maloy Award,” and mailed to the Maloy Award, Division of Kinesiology, The University of Michigan, 401 Washtenaw, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109.