When LSA junior Molly Logue walked into the auditions for “Bedroom Farce,” the last person she expected to see was Assistant Mathematics Professor Morgan Brown. Logue had been a grader for Professor Brown’s Honors Calculus I class during fall semester 2012, Brown’s first semester at the university.

“Bedroom Farce”

January 24th to January 26th at 8 p.m., January 27th at 2 p.m.
Ann Arbor Civic Theatre
From $11

Now, Logue and Brown will perform side by side in A2CT’s first production of 2013, the comedy “Bedroom Farce.” The play, which takes place in the ’70s, follows four couples in three bedrooms as they try to sort out their marital woes. According to Brown, “Bedroom Farce” brings humor by taking “serious situations and making them absurd.”

In the first act, newlyweds Malcolm (Brown) and Kate host a housewarming party in an attempt to prove how great their new life is to their friends. Unfortunately, things start to go awry when couple Susannah (Logue) and Trevor begin fighting. The situation quickly escalates as the sexual tension amplifies between past lovers Trevor and Jan. Needless to say, the whole play soon turns into chaos.

“At its heart, it’s really a comedy about sex, which any student would find humor in,” said Logue.

“The first time the cast read it out loud, they couldn’t stop laughing,” Brown added.

This was the first stage play Brown has done since high school and, after reigniting his passion for acting in graduate school at Berkeley, he wanted to continue acting in Ann Arbor.

Logue, on the other hand, has been acting since she was young. As a child, she participated in plays produced by Young People’s Theater in Ann Arbor and also performed with The Heron Players, a regional group of actors who write and produce their own plays.

When Logue got the part of Susannah — whom Logue calls “an emotional and dramatic girl with a horrible marriage”— she knew the role would be difficult.

“It’s been challenging for me because (Susannah) can be so dramatic and needy,” said Logue. “It’s a challenge to find a sympathetic side to her.”

However, Logue later admitted that it was fun to play a character so different from herself.

Director Paul Bianchi really helped Logue in understanding Susannah.

“His vision for the character was the right vision. He was a huge help in guiding me to where she needed to be,” Logue explained. “Susannah is my character, but it’s definitely been a collaboration between me and Paul.”

Bianchi, who’s been acting with A2CT for 10 years, is committed to keeping the play and the characters authentic to how the playwright Alan Ayckbourn originally wanted it.

“As a director, my job is first and foremost to tell a story that the playwright intended,” he said.

But that didn’t stop Bianchi from adding his own personal touch onto the play. He added a few “funny bits” into the play that he felt would fit in line with the characters.

Pleased with how the actors had worked with his vision overall, Bianchi said, “I couldn’t have asked for a better cast; they’ve really brought it alive.”