Questions of academic eligibility has surrounded some Michigan basketball recruits this offseason. One of those question marks was recently answered with a blow to the Wolverines.

Kelly Whitney, a 6-foot-8 forward from Marshall High School in Chicago, will reportedly have to go to prep school in the fall to raise his grade point average and test scores in order to be academically eligible for the following year.

Meanwhile, guard Dommanic Ingerson of Santa Barbara, Calif. and forward Chuck Bailey of Detroit have already qualified. Guard JaQuan Hart from Flint is set to take tests this month to try to become eligible.

Whitney averaged 18 points and nine rebounds a game with the Commandos his senior year and is also known as a good shot blocker. Prep Stars Recruiter”s Handbook rated him as the No. 93 senior prospect.

In the Wendy”s All-Star Shootout between players from Chicago and New York, Whitney earned MVP honors, with 15 points and eight rebounds.

At the High School Elite PEP Classic, a tournament with the top Illinois high school players, Whitney made the Classic”s first team with 21.3 points per game.

Michigan”s last major recruit out of Chicago was Juwan Howard, who played with the Wolverines from 1992-94.