JERUSALEM (AP) Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak yesterday called off international efforts to arrange a summit meeting with Yasser Arafat, his aides said, citing continuing violence on a day two Israelis and two Palestinians were killed by gunfire.

The prime minister made the decision even though some analysts said a summit might have helped his bleak chances of being re-elected next Tuesday.

Barak trails challenger Ariel Sharon by a wide margin in opinion polls and had come under pressure to allow elder statesman Shimon Peres to run in his place. But Barak chose to remain in the race, allowing a midnight deadline to pass yesterday, after which parties can no longer change candidates.

Meanwhile, Barak”s government gave Sharon a pre-election boost yesterday with a report analyzing the beginning of the Palestinian unrest, clearing Sharon of responsibility.

The violence started after Sharon visited a disputed hilltop in the Old City of Jerusalem on Sept. 28, declaring that the site, where the Al Aqsa Mosque compound sits atop the ruins of the biblical Jewish Temples, belongs to Israel. In four months of violence, 383 people have died, including 322 Palestinians, 13 Israeli Arabs, 47 other Israelis and one German doctor.

Sharon has demanded that Barak stop contacts with the Palestinians while violence persists. Yesterday was the first time since Jan. 15 that at least four people were killed in a single day in the Israel-Palestinian conflict.

An Israeli doctor was killed when Palestinians shot at a car he was driving near Hebron, the military said. The car was on a road used by settlers to bypass Palestinian towns when gunmen opened fire next to a Palestinian refugee camp.

The driver was identified as Dr. Shmuel Gillis, 42, a senior physician at a Jerusalem”s Hadassah Hospital who lived at Carmei Tsur, a nearby Jewish settlement.

Also, a Palestinian was shot and killed, apparently by other Palestinians, near his home in the village of Salfit. Neighbors said he was suspected of collaborating with Israel.

Another Israeli, Lior Atias, 23, was fatally shot as he picked up his car from a Palestinian garage next to Jenin in the northern part of the West Bank.

Earlier, Ahmed Mouhasim, 22, from the Jabaliya refugee camp next to Gaza City, was killed by Israeli gunfire at the Karni crossing point into Israel, Palestinians said. They charged that Israeli soldiers were firing indiscriminately. The Israeli military said the soldiers were returning Palestinian gunfire.