Correction Appended: An earlier version of this article contained an inaccurate headline.

BANFF Mountain Film Festival World Tour

Sunday at 7 p.m.
Michigan Theater
From $10

This Sunday, anyone will be able to enjoy breathtaking mountaintop views and the thrill of whitewater rafting without leaving Ann Arbor. Outdoor Adventures is hosting the 13th annual BANFF Film Festival World Tour at the Michigan Theater. The original festival takes place in Canada and runs for one week there in the fall, showing over 50 independent adventure and mountain culture films. The best films then go on tour throughout the U.S. and Canada.

“You get to pick which films you want to show,” said Jeremy Doody of Outdoor Adventures. “At each stop, you get something else out of it. You don’t just see the same thing.”

This year, the Ann Arbor BANFF Festival will feature films on sports like Midwest mountain biking, whitewater paddling, monoskiing and, of course, mountain climbing. The main feature of the evening is a film called “A Life Ascending,” which tells the story of a family living in the mountains and the lessons its members learn. There will also be an intermission with raffle prizes and giveaways from local businesses with a passion for the outdoors like Bivouac and Moosejaw .

“Outdoor Adventures is a place where we try to encourage people to get out and try new things,” Doody said. “This is kind of a different take on that, where we expose people to other adventure-type sports.”

The strength of the festival resides in its ability to bring in people who have an interest in the great outdoors and the environment and at the same time allow for anyone to sit back and enjoy the rush of adrenaline that accompanies these sports.

“It’s really all about the films,” Doody said. “It’s a fun and new experience every time. Each year we try to make it bigger and better.”