After the Michigan hockey team’s 4-2 loss Friday against Nebraska-Omaha, junior forward David Wohlberg talked about his goal.

“I figured I had to get one eventually,” Wohlberg said. ‘On that one I just got the bounce.”

Wohlberg didn’t have to wait long to ‘eventually’ get a goal in No. 3 Michigan’s second game of its series with No. 10 Nebraska-Omaha on Saturday. The Wolverines (2-0-0 CCHA, 3-1-2 overall) got all the bounces in a 6-1 victory.

Wohlberg got the scoring started right away. Just eight seconds into the game his wrist shot from the left faceoff circle beat the Mavericks’ John Faulkner. The goal was the school’s fastest ever in recorded history, besting Mike Knuble’s goal 12 seconds into a game in 1994.

The Wolverines would wait until the second period to strike again but when they did, it was a familiar face. Senior forward Carl Hagelin, who led the team in scoring last season, got his first non-empty net goal of the season.

Just three minutes later, senior forward Scooter Vaughan received and came down the left wing. After one stick handle, Vaughan launched a shot. The puck deflected off of a Nebraska-Omaha defender’s stick and into the left corner of the net. The goal was Scooter’s third of the season, tying the amount he had his whole career up until that point.

The goal also ended Faulkner’s night and Nebraska-Omaha coach Dean Blais sent in 6-foot-5 Fredrik Bergman to replace him.

But Vaughan wasn’t content with just doubling his career total. Six minutes after Vaughan got his first of the night, he won a battle in the corner to Bergman’s left. He walked out and fed the puck to senior Ben Winnett. The puck never made it to Winnett. Instead it deflected off of a Maverick’s skate and into the net.

Omaha (2-0-0 WCHA, 5-1-0 overall) did mount a comeback, scoring late in the second period. They also outshot Michigan 16-7 in the period.

But the Wolverines failed to give up another goal. Instead they did something they couldn’t do in their home opener against Mercyhurst and put the Mavericks away in the third period. Junior forward Luke Glendening deflected one past Bergman to put the final nail in the coffin. Senior Ben Winnett put the game further out of reach with late a power play goal. The win gives senior Bryan Hogan his second regular season win in as many games.