Yesterday, junior Bernard Robinson became the sole surviving member of the Brian Ellerbe era in the Michigan basketball program.

Sophomore forward Chuck Bailey announced that he was planning to transfer after this academic year.

While Michigan gave no explanation for the decision, Bailey’s Detroit Martin Luther King High School coach, Benny White, said that Bailey’s lack of playing time was a major factor in the decision-making.

“He felt he was not getting the playing time that he had worked to deserve,” White said of a conversation the two had late last week. “He is looking to get an opportunity to play more in games, and hopefully this will do that.”

Bailey, who was the backup power forward behind senior captain LaVell Blanchard, saw his minutes starting to decrease when Michigan entered into conference play. Just once did he play more than 10 minutes in a game during the Big Ten season, while he received less than five minutes six times. In Michigan’s final game against Indiana, Bailey did not play at all.

Bailey showed great promise during his freshman campaign, in which he averaged 3.8 points and three rebounds per game. His athleticism and above-par play led the way to three starts. He averaged 13.6 minutes per game.

But this year, while receiving only spot duty behind Blanchard, Bailey’s scoring average decreased from 3.8 in nonconference play to 1.3 against Big Ten opponents.

“We think a great deal of Chuck and his family,” Michigan coach Tommy Amaker said. “We wish him the best as he continues his education and playing career.”

White said that the decision to transfer was a mutual decision between the two, and that Amaker had supported him in the decision.

Bailey is currently unsure of where he will transfer. White said that he is likely to look at schools that originally recruited him, though he is willing to look at any school in which he could receive playing time.

“He wants to go where he will get a chance to play,” White said. “But he does not want a long, drawn out recruitment process like he had in high school.”

Central Michigan, Marquette, Toledo, Detroit-Mercy and Oakland were among the list of schools that recruited Bailey while in high school when he was a member of the Class-A All-State team.

The Detroit native was the only sophomore member of the team in the rotation after guard Dommanic Ingerson transferred to San Francisco last December. Bailey becomes the third player to leave the program during Amaker’s second year as coach at Michigan. Junior Avery Queen, who is currently a member of Division II Southern Indiana’s basketball team, was dismissed for violated team rules in November.

Bailey’s scholarship will not be made available until the 2004 recruiting class, due to NCAA rules which restrict the number of recruits in a two-year period to nine.