After coming back from a five-run deficit by scoring six runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, it appeared that the Michigan baseball team was going to steal a huge victory from Northwestern in the second game of the teams’ weekend series

Then came the eighth inning.

It started innocently enough, as Wolverine junior right-hander Kolby Wood, who came in relief of starting pitcher redshirt freshman Bobby Brosnahan in the fifth inning, retired the first two Wildcats he faced. After the next hitter reached base due to a throwing error by sophomore third baseman John Lorenz, junior right-hander Tyler Burgoon came in to close it out.

Burgoon has been spectacular all season, but allowed four straight hits and gave up three runs en route to the Wildcats’ 10-8 victory over the Wolverines.

Michigan had to battle back just to be in a position to win, as the team faced a 7-2 deficit after Northwestern scored four runs in the top of the fifth inning. But the Wolverines answered in the next frame.

Redshirt junior Anthony Toth led off the inning by popping out, but after that, seven straight Wolverines reached base in what ended up being a six-run inning. Junior leftfielder Ryan LaMarre followed Toth’s out by crushing a pitch from Wildcat starter Francis Brooke over the giant wall in left for a home run, and senior catcher Chris Berset and sophomore designated hitter Coley Crank followed suit for the first back-to-back-to-back homers this season for Michigan.

The Wolverines took the lead on what seemed to be a harmless dribbler back to the pitcher by freshman shortstop Derek Dennis. But Wildcat first baseman Jack Havey mishandled the throw and two runs scored.

It was all for naught, though, as the Wildcats roared back with their own comeback. Michigan threatened in the bottom of the eighth by loading the bases, but Crank struck out to end the inning without any runs scoring.

The series will conclude tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. at Ray Fisher Stadium.