For LSA junior Emily Swan, the Golden Apple Award is a wonderful way to recognize outstanding teachers who have made a difference to students the professors instructed in their subjects.

“I’ve nominated someone for a Golden Apple Award,” Swan said. “I’ve also had some professors who were Golden Apple winners, and they were excellent.”

Today begins nominations for the 13th Annual Golden Apple Award. This is the one opportunity students have to honor professors who give each lecture like it’s their last, and in this way inspire, excite and engage, said Students Honoring Outstanding University Teaching Golden Apple Award Chairman Brian Netter.

“This award was inspired by Jewish Rabbi Eliezer ben Hurkanos who taught 1,900 years ago. His philosophy was to get your affairs in order the day before you die. However, since no one knows when they die, its important to live each day like their last,” Netter said.

LSA sophomore Vincent Paviglianiti said, “This award is good encouragement for teachers to go beyond the basic curriculum to find an interesting way to get material out to students.”

“A lot of things in this country that get awarded for are not nearly as important as teaching. Athletes, especially, are constantly being recognized, but teachers are the backbone of the country,” LSA senior Eric DeBoer, said.

Students can nominate faculty by accessing the SHOUT website at http://www.umich.edu/~umshout/nominate.html. Students can enter their professors name and write a paragraph on why they are deserving of the award, Netter said.

All nominations must be in by Nov. 22, 2002 for a student committee to read and select a winner among them.

This winner is not just based on the quantity of nominations, but by what is said, Netter said.

The winner will be announced in early December. Traditionally the winner is notified by being surprised in their classroom.

The ceremony honoring the winner will be held Jan. 15, 2003 at the Mendelssohn Theatre.

Recipients of the award receive an honorarium, the prestige of the award and the opportunity to deliver an “ideal last lecture.”

The last lecture depends a lot on the professor’s style, Netter said.

Last year’s winner, Elliot Soloway, focused his lecture on his research about implementing technology into education, Netter said.