The first extended look at Marvel’s superhero extravaganza, “The Avengers,” is out, and boy, is it dynamite. By the second chain reaction of vehicular inferno 25 seconds in (rewind it as many times as you need, it gets better each time) the doubts over bringing Joss Whedon (“Firefly”) on as director are already quashed — and that’s before a single superhero is shown.

The Avengers

Paramount

The Avengers are then trotted out, set to Nine Inch Nails’s invigorating, appropriately chosen “We’re In This Together” — Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, The Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick “I have one eye but I’ll still blow you the hell up” Fury — each getting a rousing split-second to flaunt their swagger. Now, a moment of silence for every comic book geek whose jaw has become permanently unhinged.

The very sight of Earth’s mightiest heroes sitting together in the same room unleashes an unprecedented level of sheer exuberance, but the trailer tops itself by also giving a glimpse of their internal dynamic — Tony Stark’s snark, Captain America’s fortitude and Thor’s general “I’m a God” aloofness — and setting up Loki as a legitimately formidable opponent.

With this two-minute teaser, “The Avengers” has already exceeded expectations to infinity and beyond. When the Avengers finally assemble in May, it should be an astonishingly good time.