Roughly five weeks before the Michigan hockey team begins its season, the Athletic Department announced major changes to its hockey ticket policies Friday.

Student tickets will no longer be printed and distributed. Rather, they will be included on students’ MCards. Students will swipe their MCards at the arena’s gates, and will be handed a voucher for a spot in the student section.

Also, as at the Crisler Center, seating will be first-come, first-serve. According to the Athletic Department release, the change was made to boost “convenience,” as well as “to create an early exciting atmosphere at Yost (Ice Arena).”

Students are able to give the ticket on their MCards to fellow students, but in order for non-students to use the ticket, there will be a $20 “validation fee” required.

The release also mentioned the renovations that have been ongoing at Yost this summer. In addition to new bench seating on three ends of the arena, the main windows have been replaced to allow natural light to enter. The release also announced “improvements in the audio capabilities within Yost through cutting edge technology” and renovated concession stands and concourses.

Michigan opens its season with an exhibition contest against the University of Windsor (Ont.) on Oct. 9.