Students, the Michigan athletic department is calling on you to put down the beer bong early on football Saturdays, cut off the pregame music before kickoff and hustle down Hoover Street to Michigan Stadium on time.

Well, in theory, anyway. The Athletic Department announced on Thursday that it will implement a student rewards program, called H.A.I.L., that provides incentives for students to arrive early at football, men’s basketball and hockey games and to attend nonrevenue sports. Students can check in at events with a smartphone app or at designated kiosks at events.

Students who earn enough points will receive prizes ranging from a T-shirt all the way up to $2,000 or lunch with Athletic Director Dave Brandon.

In the past, national television broadcasts of football games have shown a sparsely populated student section as students trickled in well after kickoff. At Yost Ice Arena, the north end of the student section is occasionally near-empty for much of the first period of hockey games.

“We wanted to develop a unique way to honor students for their unwaivering [sic] support of Michigan Athletics and we see the H.A.I.L program as a fun way to do that,” Angela Thick, the Athletic Department’s assistant director of marketing said in a press release. “This program allows students to accumulate points throughout the year and have the chance to collect some great rewards along the way.”

Students earn two points for attending any sport other than the revenue sports (football, men’s basketball or hockey). At revenue sports, students earn one point for attending and an additional point for arriving at least 20 minutes early.

H.A.I.L. defines “attending” as checking in at an event no later than 10 minutes after the start of the event and staying until the end of regulation. The smartphone app uses the phone’s location to allow students to check in once inside the stadium or arena.

The highest point earner will also be recognized at a 2013 football game, and early attendance at each revenue sport earns season ticket purchase priority for that sport. Any student who attends an event from each of the 23 varsity sports earns a $100 MDen gift card. Groups associated with Greek Life, club sports and intramural teams can earn team prizes.

The other prizes are as follows:

• Downloading app: Special offer from Domino’s Pizza
• 12 points: H.A.I.L. T-shirt
• 25 points: five Blue Bucks
• 50 points: Adidas ClimaLITE T-shirt and drawstring
• 80 points: $100 when opening a SimplyChecking account at Flagstar Bank and one Victors Club Priority Point
• 100 points: Invitation to private Michigan athletics event plus entered into a random drawing for:
• $2,000
• Two roundtrip airline tickets worth up to $1,000 total
• One-year supply of Coke Zero
• One hour of court time at the William Davidson Player Development Center
• Season tickets for football, men’s basketball and hockey for the 2013-2014 season
• Lunch with the Athletic Director
• Photo shoot at Michigan Stadium