University pediatric researchers recently concluded a two-year study on asthma, which confirmed the effectiveness of asthma medications and also noted widespread disparities in the incidence of the disease among certain racial and ethnic minority groups.

The study’s findings indicate that the use of asthma medications was directly associated with lower emergency room visits for asthma and that children who did not have prescriptions on record were far more frequent visitors.

The study collected data from more than 19,000 children with asthma who were enrolled in Michigan’s Medicaid program in the year 2001. According to a written statement released by the study’s researchers, the rate of children with asthma is disproportionately high among members of racial and ethnic minority groups and among children with that were living in inner cities. The study indicated that asthma is 26 percent more common in African American children than in white children.

Pediatric research investigator and lead investigator of the study Dr. Kevin Dombkowski conducted the study with colleagues from the University’s Child Health Evaluation and Research unit and the data was provided by the Michigan Department of Community Health.

“We don’t know what causes asthma, only what triggers it,” Dombkowski said. Out of the list of the known “asthma triggers” a few are mold, dust mites, secondhand cigarette smoke and cockroaches. Dombkowski said he wants people to be aware that “asthma can’t be cured but it can be controlled.”

The study’s release coincided with World Asthma Day on May 6, which attempts to draw attention and educate about the growing number of asthma cases.

According to the study, some people do not realize that the asthma triggers are what cause asthma attacks, in which individuals experience labored breathing and tightness of their chest. These attacks can be life-threatening, but can be alleviated with quick-relief asthma medications.