A blend of Asian and Western cuisine will be brought to East Liberty Street, where Champion House was formerly located, by local family business Kg Food Service Inc.

Kg is a private company founded in 2011 by Ann Arbor natives Kenneth Wang and Grace Chen. They hope to open the restaurant, called Kuroshio, by the end of the summer.

Alan Wang, a recent University alum, general manager to Kg and the son of Wang and Chen, said the restaurant is named after the Kuroshio current, which flows throughout the North Pacific Ocean.

Wang said Kuroshio will bring original foods to Ann Arbor.

“This new Asian cuisine will focus on artistic, elegant and experimental Asian foods while providing the freshest foods with the most attentive service,” Wang said.

Wang explained Kuroshio will have Japanese Teppanyaki dining, a style of cooking in which the chef prepares the food at the customer’s table.

“Ann Arbor currently lacks a restaurant with the Teppanyaki experience, and we are thrilled to bring this exciting style of dining to the Main Street area,” Wang said. “This provides for an exhilarating and entertaining ambience where friends and family can gather around and share a unique, memorable experience.”

Wang said he currently cannot disclose specifics about Kuroshio’s menu, though he mentioned that various grades of steak, including Kobe beef, along with chicken, shrimp, lobster and a variety of fish will be served.

“In addition to entrees, Kuroshio will offer small carefully crafted plates,” Wang said. “A fully stocked wet bar will be arriving later in the year.”

Wang added that opening on Liberty is ideal because the restaurant will be less than a block from Main Street. He said the location is prime because Liberty connects downtown Ann Arbor to the University’s central campus.

Ann Arbor firms MSK Architects and Rizzolo Brown Studio are currently renovating the restaurant space in order to make necessary changes, according to Wang.

“Both the kitchen and dining areas are undergoing much more than just cosmetic touch-ups,” Wang said. “The equipment, tables, chairs and designs are quite outdated and have not aged well.”

Engineering junior Hayley Pline said Kuroshio’s idea of Western and Asian influences coming together is innovative, and she hopes Kuroshio decides to provide University students with special offers.

“I would check out the restaurant regardless of whether or not they offer a special deal for U-M students,” Pline said. “However, I would feel more compelled to go if they offered us a discount.”