“Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li”
20th Century Fox
At the Showcase and Quality 16

“Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li” is about Chun-Li (Kristin Kreuk, TV’s “Smallville”). The movie showcases the same kind of banality and repetition found in that statement. On top of a horribly uninteresting storyline about a girl looking for her kidnapped father (think “Taken,” but vice-versa), it uses the franchise name of “Street Fighter” for a movie with none of the high-energy action or character-driven stories associated with the classic video game. That is a serious crime. The few fighting scenes in the movie are trite and perfunctory, dialogue is long and campy and famous “Street Fighter” characters are introduced just for the hell of it with no accompanying background information.

If this is Capcom’s plan to reintroduce the franchise to the movie-watching public, then “Street Fighter” might be in trouble. In fact, the 1994 “Street Fighter” big-screen adaptation with Jean-Claude Van Damme is actually far more entertaining to watch than “Chun-Li.” And that says a lot. Anyone who remembers the cheesy fighting sequences and over-the-top acting from the 1994 film knows that the producers were at least having some fun with the material. The same cannot be said with “Chun-Li.” It’s not fun to watch. It’s just sad.