Dull concept destroys latest biographical show

Television

“Ax Men”

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

Sundays at 10 p.m.

History Channel

We have reached the bottom of the barrel. The History Channel has an hour-long program on logging.

“Ax Men” follows four logging companies in the northwestern United States as they cut down trees and face the dangers associated with logging . . . like not getting out of the way of falling trees. The forced drama is completely over the top, yet it’s possible this is the most boring show on television. When you have loggers endlessly spouting off things like, “the first time you make a mistake, it can hurt you bad,” followed by an hour of non-stop dullness, nothing can come from that but a bitter audience.

Where are all the accidents? Yes, these loggers are experienced, but they’re also making a TV show, so at least one of them should be forced to take one for the team per episode. If they don’t, there’s no use for this show outside of a cure for insomnia.

John Daavettila

Event Preview

Multimedia show translates meaning through media

CommShow

Tonight at 8 p.m. and tomorrow at 2 p.m.and 8 p.m.

Video studio in the Duderstadt Center

In a time when modern conveniences such as text messaging and BlackBerries are ubiqitous, human communication begins to take on a more unseen form. It is undeniable that our culture is intertwined with a constantly evolving role of technology. The advantages and consequences are left for time to reveal. As for right now, all we can do is investigate. Such a task inspired students studying music, performing arts technology, dance and art and design to collaborate on a project investigating how humans interact with each other in the modern world. The result of their inquiry will be presented in a multimedia dance performance, “CommShow,” today and tomorrow at the video studio in the Duderstadt Center on North Campus.

Appropriately, multimedia will be used to examine the digital world. The original six dances, music and video were choreographed and composed by the students themselves. The video, modern dance and ambient style music create an atmosphere that helps to explain how today’s society relies on multitasking through multimedia. The project began last April when members began talking about themes of social networking.

“Things like MySpace and Facebook have really changed the way we interact with one another, and so we were trying to bring some forth some of these things, and trying not to make a commentary on it, but rather, acknowledging the implications of these things, and making the audience aware of them,” said School of Music, Theatre and Dance student Aidan Feldman, a choreographer of the show.

Just as technology will be the central theme of the performance, it will also be used as a form of art. Embracing the digital age may also mean drawing some boundaries. As we grapple with the question of how much is too much, Feldman poses a necessary question: “What is the bare minimum we can get by with?”

Priya Bali