Serious reality meets hipster camp

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

“Wristcutters: A Love Story”

At Showcase

Autonomous

So to all those angsty, emo and alternative kids out there looking for a movie to connect with: Your film has arrived.

“Wristcutters” is a low-budget surrealist geek show about purgatory and one loner’s quest to find his ex-girlfriend, a fellow successful wrist cutter. This is a modernist purgatory. An icy, cold, muted wasteland of place, it looks like a dilapidated West and photo student’s dream.

This is serious business deflated by a wonderfully campy approach. For a look at something serious like suicide, this is more of a road comedy. Which, for the most part, is fun, and allows for some interesting stops along the way (Will Arnett’s “Messiah” is a must-see). Religion, spirituality and life consciousness get stopped at the door for this surprisingly airy story.

Therein lies the only problem with “Wristcutters.” Can suicide be diluted via comedy and kooky characters? “Six Feet Under” did it well, and if you get the joke, you might really enjoy this.

Besides, a film beginning with a suicide set to Tom Waits may be deserving of hipster cool cult status.

Blake Goble

We get ‘Kaya,’ but we really don’t care

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars

“Kaya”

Mondays at 11 p.m.

MTV

One Avril Lavigne is enough, MTV. Why are you giving us another artist who sounds – if it’s possible – even more annoying?

“Kaya” is the latest show in MTV’s all-crap-all-the-time lineup and is named for a girl (Danielle Savre, “Heroes”) who sings in a new indie-rock band with emo boys in bowler hats. She hates bubblegum music and takes herself far too seriously, refusing to relent her “hardcore” persona. She even turns down a song during a concert because it doesn’t live up to her standards, then storms off the stage and cries in a stairwell (so punk). As if that’s not enough, she also has visions of her dead sister, making Kaya not only self-obsessed but crazy, too.

The show is built on classic MTV: young people leading teenybopper-envious lives. Between “Kaya,” “The Hills” and “Laguna Beach,” there’s more than enough reason to host an MTV-intervention.

With record labels changing her image and her band mates calling her a “skank,” Kaya feels like no one understands her. But that’s not true. We understand – we just don’t care.

John Daavettila