A student and two faculty members from the Ontario College of Art and Design in Toronto were suspended last week after the student planted a fake bomb outside the Royal Ontario Museum, forcing the museum to cancel a black-tie fundraising dinner. The student, who used the fake bomb as part of an assignment for an art class, later posted two videos on YouTube.com showing the effects of a fake bombing on the building.

The museum chose to cancel the dinner, part of an AIDS charity event, though the student called a museum official to inform them that there was not a bomb outside the building. He did so because college advisers told him that being honest about the device would reduce his chance of getting in legal trouble, The Toronto Star reported.

FOOTBALL FIRST

The University of Missouri was forced to postpone its presidential search because of Missouri’s top-ranked football team. The school was inundated with media attention last week after its team jumped to number one in the country for the first time since 1960.

The university’s Board of Curators canceled some meetings and postponed presidential talks because of the football frenzy, The Associated Press reported. The college has been searching for a new president for eight months and has several finalists, including Gary Forsee, the former CEO of Sprint-Nextel.

THE GHOSTWRITERS

According to an article in 02138, a magazine focused on Harvard University, high-powered professors at prestigious institutions tend to heavily depend on uncredited research assistants to produce their work. The use of these assistants has come out in several instances where professors have been accused of plagiarizing parts of their work.

In one instance, a book by Harvard Law School Prof. Charles Ogletree about the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education case was found to have taken six paragraphs verbatim from another book on the subject. Ogletree told 02138 that a research assistant assigned to write and edit part of the book accidentally included the paragraphs in the body of Ogletree’s text rather than formatting them as a quotation before sending the book to the publisher.

HACK ATTACK

A student at the University of Pennyslvania was indicted after an arrest earlier this month on charges that he used university servers as part of a hacking conspiracy that attacked and took control of more than a million computers, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported.

The university discovered the breach after the server of the university’s School of Engineering mysteriously crashed last year, cutting service to 4,000 students and employees. The FBI suspects that Engineering junior Ryan Goldstein was responsible for the crash and is working with a New Zealand-based hacker nicknamed “AKILL.”

GABE NELSON