Broncos, away from the blue turf, shock the nation: In one of the most exciting college bowl games in recent memory, Boise State upended Oklahoma 43-42 in overtime in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on New Year’s Day. After falling behind early, Oklahoma made a late comeback and took a seven-point lead following an interception returned for a touchdown. Then, the Broncos dusted off the trick plays in the playbook. Boise State used a hook-and-ladder to send the game to overtime. There, the Broncos proved that mid-major conferences can compete and defeat major powerhouses like Oklahoma. Boise State employed the classic Statue of Liberty play on a two-point conversion in overtime to send the Sooners home empty-handed.

Mason Loses job after Gophers’ second-half collapse: Texas Tech faced a 31-point deficit late in the third quarter, and Minnesota coach Glen Mason must have felt comfortable enough with a 38-7 lead. Oh, how 15 minutes can change things. The Red Raiders quarterback Graham Harrell orchestrated the biggest comeback in Division I-A bowl history. The Red Raiders Alex Trlica hit a 52-yard field goal as time expired to send the game into overtime. Texas Tech finished the furious comeback and Mason’s coaching career at Minnesota. Shannon Woods ran the ball from three yards out to give the Red Raiders a 44-41 win.

Ball’s Ineligibility, Comeback doom Georgia Tech: Georgia Tech sophomore quarterback Taylor Bennett did something only former Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart has done: throw a touchdown pass on his first ever collegiate passing attempt. Bennett, filling in for ineligible senior quarterback Reggie Ball, finished with three touchdowns and 326 yards. Even though the Yellow Jackets jumped out to a 28-10 lead in the third quarter, West Virginia rallied with a three-touchdown fourth quarter to win the Gator Bowl 38-35. Quarterback Pat White scored the winning score on a 15-yard scramble with 5:57 left in the game.