I guess most University students have a good story involving the Arb. Mine occurred over the summer. It was a beautiful day, full of sunshine and Frisbees and crazy college kids on drugs. A few friends and I set out to find a spot we had only heard about. Far down the Huron River is a small inlet of water, and embedded in the silt and sand is a picnic table. How it got there we had no idea until an old man appeared out of nowhere.

“It was Jesus,” he said. We nodded.

“I also asked Jesus for His permission to build such an acoustically perfect bend of river,” he continued.

We continued to nod. He eloquently explained how the Savior heard his prayers for a picnic table.

We were polite, attentive listeners. But the man was about to make his coup de grace.

“I discovered two ducks pretty close to here,” he said. “I asked Jesus to make them fertile.”

Clearly this guy had escaped from somewhere, but he was as harmless as the words he spoke.

After he left, we saw a momma duck, a daddy duck and eight ducklings paddling toward shore with their little duck feet. It was a feat of cuteness. And the old man was right, those ducks were quite fertile.

Andrew Sargus Klein

Squirrel of a tale

Squirrels have long been a part of my life here at the University, but I can’t say that I’ve ever felt the urge to befriend one.

But apparently a middle-aged man in work boots outside Mason Hall did. He knelt next to a squirrel and proceeded to bring a nut out from his pocket. He leaned close and offered the nut to the squirrel.

Puzzled, the squirrel turned away, then turned back around and inched closer to the man’s outstretched hand.

After some deliberation, it turned away again, but as it was about to head off, it stopped. The squirrel slowly made its way back to the man’s hand, stared for a moment, grabbed the nut and ran off like a bank robber with a bag full of loot.

Dave Mekelburg

Deer friend

It was dark, late and snowing while I waited for the bus on North Campus. After seeing a flash in the corner of my eye, I turned to the left to find a woman taking pictures of a deer with her camera.

The deer seemed unfazed by the flashes. He walked toward me and milled not 5 feet from the stop. The woman soon left, and the deer and I were left to wait in the snow.

Obviously not patient enough to wait for the bus, the deer soon scurried across the street into the woods.

Katherine Mitchell