CAIRO, Egypt (AP) – Arab foreign ministers urged Saddam Hussein yesterday to accept the U.N. Security Council resolution ordering new, tougher weapons inspections and demanded that Arab arms experts be included on the U.N. teams.

The ministers adopted the eight-point statement shortly after the Iraqi leader ordered his nation’s parliament to meet to recommend a response to the U.N. resolution, which was adopted Friday and gives Baghdad a seven-day deadline for acceptance. Iraqi Foreign Minister Naji Sabri said parliament would convene today

The United Nations is not obliged to heed the Arab ministers’ demand on weapons inspectors, adopted at the end of a two-day meeting of the 22-member Arab League in Cairo.

The United States, meanwhile, warned it will not tolerate any Iraqi failure to cooperate with weapons inspectors. “We do not need to waste the world’s time with another game of cat and mouse,” National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice warned while making the rounds of yesterday’s news talk shows in Washington.

Arab foreign ministers, including Sabri, worked into the evening on a final communique that demanded Iraq and the United Nations work together and called on the United States to commit to pledges Syria said it was given that the resolution would not be used to justify military action.

The Arab ministers “called on the permanent Security Council members who presented Syria with assurances to commit to what they presented, that the resolution is not used as an excuse to wage war on Iraq and does not constitute automatic military action,” the statement said.

The Arab League document did not specify how many Arab experts it wants on inspection teams or say which countries they should represent.

However, Mohamed ElBaradei, director of the International Atomic Energy Agency, is an Egyptian, and would be on the advance team of inspectors headed to Iraq if Saddam accepts the resolution.

El Baradei’s agency is in charge of looking for clandestine nuclear arms programs.

A spokesman for the U.N. inspection operation said a list of inspectors and their country of origin was not immediately available.

The Arab League document also demanded “the continuation of U.N.-Iraq cooperation to solve all standing issues peacefully in preparation for the lifting of sanctions and the end of the (U.N.) embargo as well as the suffering of the Iraqi people.”

It put forward a united Arab position of “absolute rejection” of any military action against Iraq, saying it represents a threat to the security of all Arab nations.

In addition, it called on the Security Council to require Israel to rid itself of weapons of mass destruction because they “constitute a serious threat to Arab and international peace and security.”

Arab foreign ministers have said they fully expect Iraq to accept the U.N. resolution.