DEARBORN HEIGHTS (AP) – A Dearborn Heights businessman will work for better communication between the Arab world and the United States as an Arab-American liaison for the Arab League.

Nasser Beydoun, a local Arab-American community leader, was tapped for the post earlier this week. He will help open lines of communication between the Arab world and the United States for the League, a leading political organization in the Middle East.

The 56-year-old group represents 22 Arab countries.

Beydoun, 37, is traveling this week in Washington with Amr Moussa, secretary general of the Arab League. The Arab League announced it was going to create the liaison position during a November conference in which Detroit”s large and influential Arab-American community brought Moussa and other diplomats from Arab nations together with business and political leaders from Michigan.

“This is the first time there will be a commissioner to deal with you and make you part of the Arab League,” Moussa said in November.

Beydoun, who has worked to build bridges and better understanding of Arab-Americans, said much of his duties in the volunteer position will include trying to build stronger economic ties between the Middle East and the United States, especially Detroit.

“Through economics, you can build cultural understanding,” Beydoun told the Detroit Free Press for a story yesterday. “You have to give people a reason to understand each other, and trade is a good reason.”

Michigan is home to about 350,000 Arab-Americans, with the population concentrated in the southeastern part of the state.