Adam Shaw’s first career goal had been a long time coming. The fifth-year member of the Michigan men’s soccer team frequently flies under the radar as a crafty midfielder with a knack for finding teammates’ feet.

But he was finally the focal point Sunday, though his goal in the early stages of Michigan’s (2-6-1) match against Marquette proved to be moot in a 2-1 defeat.

“I don’t really go forward a lot,” Shaw said. “I decided to go forward once and see if anything would happen, and I saw Malcolm (Miller) on the right side come in and try to shoot. It was kind of lucky, because it got blocked and it fell right in front of me. I was in the right place at the right time and just hit a volley into the far corner.

“Just good timing and a good choice of when to go and lucky that it fell right to me.”

Shaw’s 11th minute toe-poke made him the latest in a slew of Wolverines to recently break through for a career milestone.

Just Wednesday, junior forward Etienne Lussiez notched the first three goals of his Michigan career in a win over Detroit. Before that, it was Miller, the sophomore forward, who beat the goalkeeper for the first time collegiately in a draw against Georgetown.

And the young Michigan (2-6-1) side can use all of the scorers it can find. Redshirt sophomore goalie Adam Grinwis can’t help but smile every time he spots a new teammate giving him some breathing room from his position in net.

Though Grinwis wasn’t at his best on Sunday — he held off the Golden Eagle forwards for an entire half before allowing the equalizer off a set piece and a bizarre winner off a punt — his attack knows they need to lend Grinwis a beauty into the upper ninety when the moment allows.

Big Ten play is just a week away, beginning Sunday at Ohio State, and the competition will only become stiffer. The necessity for a near-flawless attack will only become more apparent. Much of the Wolverine faithful longs for last season when Justin Meram could score from virtually anywhere on the pitch and Soony Saad carved his niche up front.

But these days, it’s a by-committee rotation of scorers. Whoever feels ready to strike on match day is welcomed, or commanded, to do so.

“I think the goal scorers are there for a reason, and I have confidence that they’ll keep doing what they’re doing,” Shaw said.

With seemingly a new name popping up in the boxscore every week, one has to wonder who will answer the call next for Michigan.

“(Freshman forward Matthew) Rickard clanged the post on the free kick in the first half,” Michigan coach Steve Burns said. “He’s looked great in training.”

The England native has played in every match thus far and has yet to strike that elusive first goal.

But the way things have been going for the Wolverines, Rickard could be next.