NEW YORK (AP) – Just weeks after a leading authors’ group sued Google for copyright infringement, the Association of American Publishers has also filed suit against the search engine giant’s plans to scan and index books for the Internet.

Under the Google Print Library Project, millions of copyrighted books from three major university libraries – Harvard, Stanford and Michigan – will be indexed on the Internet unless the copyright holder notifies the company by Nov. 1 about which volumes should be excluded.

Despite the lawsuit, the University said it will continue to support the project because it would preserve books for future generations.

“We’re obviously disappointed in the lawsuit because the project is an enormous leap,” said James Hilton, associate provost for academic, information and instructional technology affairs.

The first lawsuit against the project came when the Authors Guild sued Google last month. The organization, which has 8,000 members, accused the search engine of copyright infringement and demanded that they receive permission from authors before beginning the project.

Hilton voiced the University’s support for the project last month as well, saying that they continued to be enthusiastic about the project.

Google has called the project an invaluable chance for books to receive increased exposure.

In papers filed Wednesday in the U.S. District Court in Manhattan, the publishers association sought a permanent injunction and cited the “continuing, irreparable and imminent harm publishers are suffering – due to Google’s willful (copyright) infringement to further its own commercial purposes.”

The suit was filed on behalf of five publishers: McGraw-Hill, Pearson Education, Penguin Group USA, Simon & Schuster and John Wiley & Sons. The suit seeks recovery of legal costs, but no additional damages.

Google, in a statement issued yesterday, called the legal action “short-sighted” and said the project was a “historic effort to make millions of books easier for people to find and buy.”