With the first snowflakes falling, it is once again time for the Galens Tag Days fundraisers to take over the streets of Ann Arbor. The annual event, sponsored by the Galens Medical Society, strives to help children at the University Hospital and local organizations.

The event traces its roots to 1927, making 2013 the 87th year of canvassing for the organization. The Galens Medical Society was founded as an honor society by medical students in 1914 but has since grown into 120-member strong charitable and service organization. This year’s program will begin Thursday.

The fundraiser aims to fund various Washtenaw County children’s organizations and programs, including those within the C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.

Medical student Devon Rupley, the co-chair of the event, said the fundraiser is a great way for the medical community and students to come together and help children outside the hospital. She added that the effort is one of the hospital’s biggest philanthropic pushes each year.

The 2012 event raised slightly more than $60,000. Rupley said the amount raised typically ranges between $60,000 and $65,000. All money raised will go to beneficent organizations and the costs of organizing and running the fundraiser are covered by other funding sources.

This year’s event will begin earlier than past fundraisers. The event will run Thursday from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. in the hospital. The fundraiser will recommence Friday at 6 a.m. and last until 11 p.m. On Saturday, it will run from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Staff and faculty will assist medical students during their volunteering shift. Volunteers will give donors symbolic tags in exchange for their contribution.

Rupley noted that this year some former patients — including young children — will help with the fundraiser at the hospital by giving tags to donors.

Although the fundraiser lasts for a few days, deciding where the money is allocated is a rigorous process. The society has a committee that examines requests for funds by various organizations and a vote then decides which charities will receive support.

Donations to the fundraising effort can also be made online here.