A fire at an Ann Arbor home early Saturday morning left one victim dead and one in critical condition, an Ann Arbor Fire Department official said Saturday evening.

According to AAFD Chief Dominick Lanza, the AAFD was called to the fire at 5:01 a.m. on Saturday. By the time firefighters arrived on the scene at 2275 Westaire Ct., two people had fled from the house. However, two others were found unconscious in the basement, Lanza said.

After officials arrived on the scene off campus, Lanza said it took them about 15 minutes to put out the fire, followed by another 15 minutes to help investigators make sure the site was safe.

Twenty-year-old Jacob Rachford was one of the two victims found unconscious in the home and was later pronounced dead at the University Hospital, Lanza said.

Rachford, who was not a student at the University, graduated from Ann Arbor’s Community High School in 2009 and was a member of the diving team at Ann Arbor’s Pioneer High School.

LSA sophomore Patton Doyle, who was on Pioneer High School’s swim team with Rachford, said Saturday evening Rachford was a very valuable member of the team.

“He was a great guy,” Doyle said. “This is a horrible thing that happened.”

The second person found unconscious — a non-University student named Tyne Mosbey — is in critical condition at Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, hospital officials confirmed late Sunday night.

Lanza said authorities are not sure whether the residence met fire safety standards or if it had working smoke detectors.

“It’s hard to say right now,” he said Saturday.

Lanza said Saturday evening the fire department is waiting to find out specific details of the incident. AAFD did not return multiple calls by The Michigan Daily as of Sunday evening.

The department will most likely release results of the investigation Monday, Lanza said on Saturday.

Lanza also said he believes the fire spread as much as it did because of the time it originated.

“At that hour of the morning, I’m sure everybody was asleep, so it probably went unnoticed for a while,” he said.

One neighbor who lives near the house, who wished to remain anonymous, said she had seen people entering and exiting Rachford’s house on Saturday at about 3 a.m. Another neighbor, who also requested anonymity, said he had also heard and seen activity inside and around the house at that time.

Eight other neighbors interviewed Sunday said they were awoken by the sound of sirens at about 5 a.m.

None of the neighbors who commented said they had met the individuals living in the house that caught fire. A few neighbors said Rachford, the injured woman and two or three other young adults moved into the house this past fall.

— Daily News Editor Joseph Lichterman and Daily Staff Reporter Kaitlin Williams contributed to this report.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *