Sleep-deprived, burgeoning entrepreneurs in the Ann Arbor area convened yesterday to put the finishing touches on start-up endeavors as part of a three-day event focused on the development of innovative business models.

This weekend, North Quad Residence Hall and the University TechArb hosted Hacka2thon, an event for programmers and entrepreneurs, in which about 45 University students and Ann Arbor residents teamed up to execute entrepreneurial projects, particularly on new digital media platforms. The participants had only 36 hours — Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon — to complete their projects.

University alum Scott Goci, the event organizer, said he came up with the idea because he wanted to create an event that emphasized Ann Arbor’s innovation, hence the “a2” in the name.

“I really wanted this event to be about pushing entrepreneurship from Ann Arbor,” Goci said. “I don’t want the next big company to come from Silicon Valley. I want it to come from Ann Arbor.”

Hacka2thon was sponsored by several technology powerhouses such as Microsoft, the University’s Center for Entrepreneurship, Ann-Arbor based software development company Menlo Innovations and API company Twilio Cloud Communications.

Goci said he modeled Hacka2thon off Startup Weekend — an entrepreneurship event hosted in different cities around the world. The first ever Startup Weekend in Ann Arbor was hosted at the University in January with more than 125 participants.

Since Startup Weekend happens only once a year, Goci said he wanted to give local residents additional opportunities to attend entrepreneurial events. Goci hopes Hacka2thon will be held two or three times a year so people have various opportunities to attend events that foster innovative creation.

Engineering sophomore Miguel Sanchez and his team won the award for best mobile application. They created a social map for Ann Arbor to highlight event and party locations on a city map. Sanchez said he had never participated in a hackathon before but would like to do it again.

Another Hacka2thon participant, LSA senior Adam Rice, won best application for Goosecast — an application through which users can blog live events by creating an event link and automatically uploading pictures and other content for users to view. Rice said he eventually would like to run the non-technical aspects of a business, and he attended Hacka2thon to meet people and gain experience in building applications.

“I really believe in what we have,” Rice said of the product his team created. “It’s a really cool product. I mean, people in here were loving it. They were using it in here already.”

School of Information student Gierad Laput was part of the group Si-Chi, which created a program that he described as a mix between a task list and Doodle — a web application that allows groups of people to coordinate schedules. Laput said the purpose of the project is to provide teachers with a tool to track students’ progress as they fill out online checklists provided by the instructor.

Laput added that he had never participated in a hackathon before but would love to participate in the future because of what he learned about the start-up process and teamwork.

Michigan resident Ming Chan, who works for a company that develops applications that help people learn Chinese, said she attended Hacka2thon for the experience of working on a start-up in a short period of time.

“I really like the concept of taking something from development all the way to completion in three days,” Chan said. “That way we can show ourselves that we can do something really fast.”

Chan said Ann Arbor’s Hackathon was unique from others she has been to because there was a focus on entrepreneurship as opposed to just programming, which she said created a more enjoyable atmosphere.

“It’s a supportive environment rather than a competitive one,” she said.