As the United States manufacturing sector faces an uncertain future, President Barack Obama is calling on the University and other institutions to revitalize the industry.

The Advanced Manufacturing Partnership, which includes leaders from six universities in the U.S. and representatives from several manufacturing companies, will meet at the University’s North Campus Research Complex on Monday to discuss ways to implement and improve innovative manufacturing technologies. The meeting will be the fourth regional event.

The AMP was founded in June after a report from the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology recommended collaboration between universities, government workers and industry executives to improve the state of American manufacturing.

One of the partnership’s missions is to identify high-impact technologies to help the U.S. increase its level of global competitiveness. Jack Hu, associate dean in the College of Engineering and a professor of manufacturing technology, wrote in an e-mail interview that the technologies are versatile and of great economic benefit to manufacturing companies and the U.S. economy.

“These technologies are ones that can be used by several industries, that may have profound impact on energy efficiency, jobs and the overall U.S. economic competitiveness,” Hu wrote.

In May, the AMP will release information about the high-impact technology including which innovations should receive a greater amount of federal funding.

Earlier this year, Obama chose University President Mary Sue Coleman and Hu to head the partnership’s Shared Facilities and Infrastructure workstream, which is based at the University and aims to expedite the improvement of manufacturing technologies.

The all-day event next Monday will include tours of the University’s manufacturing and robotics labs, a panel discussion and meetings for each of the four AMP workstreams — Technology Development, Policy, Education and Workforce Development and Shared Facilities and Infrastructure.

Hu wrote that the goal of the meeting is to gather input from manufacturing professionals and the general public to improve the U.S. manufacturing industry and prevent operations from moving abroad.

“The United States is still the biggest manufacturer in the world,” Hu wrote. “But the manufacturing sector lost several million jobs during the last decade due to improvement in manufacturing efficiency as well as outsourcing. When manufacturing goes offshore, research and development activities are likely to follow.”

However, Hu wrote that he believes the U.S. should continue investing in manufacturing in order to increase employment opportunities, spur the economy and ensure national security.

Speakers at the event will include representatives from the U.S. Department of Defense and industry leaders from businesses such as Ford Motor Company and Dow Chemical.