After Wednesday night”s 58-54 home loss to Northwestern, Michigan men”s basketball coach Tommy Amaker hinted that he would look at a lineup change.

Statistically, he may want to consider starting five players that came to the team on scholarship.

While former walk-ons like seniors Mike Gotfredson and Rotolu Adebiyi have shown the “spirit, effort and drive” that Amaker wants to see on the floor, the numbers speak for themselves.

When Michigan had former walk-ons on the floor against Northwestern it was outscored by 17 points.

With five scholarship recruits in the game, the Wolverines scored 13 more points than the Wildcats.

Gotfredson has started 12 games for Michigan at the point guard spot, including each of the past eight.

During six of those eight games, the Wolverines have started very slowly. Michigan fell behind 9-0 against Duke, 9-0 against Eastern Michigan, 7-2 at San Francisco, 7-0 against Purdue, 8-0 at Illinois and 7-0 against Northwestern.

Those numbers combine for a 47-2 advantage for the Wolverines” opponents in the early going.

“We are going to evaluate (the poor starts) as a staff. We are going to do the best we can to see if there is anything else that we can do with our team to generate something different at the start of the game. Whether that is a lineup change or anything else,” Amaker said. “I do sense that if things do not go our way early we lose a little confidence. We lose confidence when we do not get anything on offense right away.”

Just 10 days ago, Michigan got out to a strong start on the road against Minnesota, which will visit Crisler Arena tomorrow afternoon.

Last Wednesday, the Wolverines fought hard but lost 90-82 in Minneapolis despite leading the game well into the second half.

It is not clear if the short amount of time between the two games will help or harm either club.

“Since I”ve gotten into this league, I”ve had this conspiracy theory,” Minnesota head coach Dan Monson said. “There”s no good time to play anybody.

“I think you have to get your players in the mindset that (playing two quick games against one team) doesn”t matter, because otherwise there is a disadvantage to it.”

The Gophers converted their shots at a dunk-contest-like rate of 81.8 percent in the second half of last week”s game. Michigan tallied 15 steals as the two teams combined for 37 turnovers in a sloppy, fast-paced contest.

“I don”t think there is any question that for us to win there in Ann Arbor Saturday, we will have to play better than we did here last week,” Monson said.