As AIDS Awareness Week kicked off on Sunday, University and student organizations are busy providing programs and events to educate the campus community about HIV and AIDS.

University Health Services, which regularly provides HIV-related services to the University community, will be organizing its second outreach event this week on Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Michigan Union with the help of the Black Student Union, said Yolanda Campbell, associate director of health service at UHS.

“At the Health Promotion Department of the UHS, we will be providing free HIV counseling and testing for everyone and we will be using the Orasure Test, which involves no needles or blood,” Campbell said.

“UHS produces and distributes materials on AIDS education and performs (more than) 1,000 tests each year,” Campbell added.

Other AIDS awareness events included a lecture and slideshow put on by the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Affairs and the Museum of Art titled “World AIDS Day – Day Without Art” on Sunday and a poetry reading yesterday.

“The lecture and slideshow showed how people used art to educate, make a political statement and a personal and artistic response to AIDS,” LGBT Affairs Program Coordinator Kelly Garrett said.

Local poets commemorated those who died of AIDS by reading their own poems or works of others, said Debbie Swartz, program manager of education at the University Museum of Art.

“A memorial quilt of 44,000 panels with 84,000 names – which 50 different countries contributed a panel – was present during the event,” Swartz said. “The quilt is equivalent to 26 football fields.”

Sean Ulmer, University curator for modern and contemporary art, and Pamela Reister, associate curator for education at UMMA, organized the event.