Plans for the controversial 601 Forest student high-rise were tabled Monday night after the project’s developers submitted revised plans last Friday that cut the project’s size nearly in half. At the request of the project’s developers, Ann Arbor City Council voted to postpone the proposal until the Council’s next scheduled meeting Oct. 20.

In the next two weeks, city planners will review the revised proposal for the complex, planned for the corner of South University Avenue and South Forest Street. At the beginning of the meeting, Dan Ketalaar, one of the project’s developers, gave a brief slide show presentation comparing the previous proposals to the new scaled-down plan.

The new proposal is roughly half the size of the previous plans. It calls for a single 14-story building instead of an L-shaped building with a maximum height of 25 stories.

This will decrease the number of units from 1,200 to between 550 and 650 units, Ketalaar said.

“We’ve taken to heart a lot of the comments that we’ve received,” Ketalaar said of the revised plan, noting that most were regarding the building’s height.

Under the revised proposal, the building would occupy about half of the land purchased for the development, where the Village Corner convenience store and the now-closed Bagel Factory now stand.

The proposal still calls for underground parking, but the number of spaces has been cut from about 250 to 90, according to Councilmember Stephen Rapundalo (D-Ward 2).

Some have speculated that cost may have played a factor in the developers’ decision to downsize the project.

During a pre-meeting caucus Sunday night, Rapundalo said the developers’ main reason for revising their proposal was the outcry from area residents, but that cost probably also played a factor in their decision.

Ketalaar declined to comment about the cost of the new plan, saying the project was still in the beginning stages.

Engineering senior Brian Russell spoke in favor of the proposal during last night’s meeting, saying it would add more housing options for students and increase competition in the campus housing market.

“If someone can offer nice housing to students closer to campus, I don’t see why MSA would be against it, I don’t see why students would be against it, I don’t even see why Ann Arborites would be against it,” he said in an interview.

Michigan Student Assembly Vice President Arvind Sohoni, who introduced an MSA resolution last month against the proposal, commended councilmembers for considering student input and urged them to continue to incorporate it during the project’s revisions.

Nearby residents have vocally opposed the project since it was first proposed last January, arguing that the building’s height and scale would be a mismatch for the surrounding neighborhood. Some have said the development would add too many cars to the already-congested area.

Due to a rule prohibiting speakers from addressing Council multiple times during the same public hearing, residents who had opposed the project during past meetings were not permitted to speak Monday night.

After the proposal was postponed, a crowd of about a dozen residents from the South University, Forest Court and Burns Park Neighborhood Associations gathered in the lobby of City Hall to discuss their displeasure about the scaled-down plan.

Betsy Price, a member of the North Burns Park neighborhood association, said she was unsatisfied with the revisions.

“No. I don’t think it’s enough,” she said.

Peter Nagourney, co-chair of the North Burns Park Neighborhood Association, said that among that among the residents’ contention with the project is whether the revisions should be considered amendments to the original proposal, as it is currently being treated, or whether it should be considered an entirely new proposal.

If the proposal were treated as new, it would have to be sent back to the city’s Planning Commission for another review rather than coming directly back to City Council.

— Trevor Calero and Nicole Aber contributed to this report.