Some people take this space to complain about unfulfilled promises made by the Michigan athletic department. “Why haven’t we won more national titles?” they bemoan as if Michigan sports bounced a check on them. Sure I could complain – and do often enough – but the fact is that the Michigan athletic department has fulfilled its end of the bargain.

It has provided us all with four exciting years of athletics and, accompanying those games, some of the best memories of our lives. And what’s more, covering some of those teams for the Daily has afforded me the opportunity to gain access to stories and events that I would not otherwise be privy to.

While I have done my best to allude to some of those events, there are lots that I haven’t had the chance to get in the Daily. And as I will probably never write a memoir on my time here, I figure why not use this parting shot to get some things out in the open.

Some of them were more benign than others – like passing first round draft pick Troy Murphy at the Notre Dame tennis center while at a women’s tennis match between Notre Dame and Michigan. But others were less so, like the time two summers ago I enjoyed the festivities of the Michigan hockey reunion/golf outing.

After riding around with some of the alumni and getting the chance to see Blake Sloan, a defenseman from 1993-97, have to do a dickie – whipping “it” out and taking a swing with it – after shanking a tee shot that didn’t manage to pass the woman’s tees.

I also ran into Marty Turco, the two-time national champion goaltender. After an afternoon of golf and heavy boozing, Turco admitted what had been suspected for years – that the freshman class from 1997-98, coach Red Berenson and the rest of the team road the coattails of his super-hot goaltending to the 1998 national championship.

And there is no way of forgetting my first class at Michigan when B.J. Askew, upon entering the classroom five minutes late, was asked by the professor if he had any nicknames he would like to be referred to. Without a flinch in the most serious voice he could find, B.J. answered, “Yea – just call me Heisman.” The answer sent everyone into laughter, and I haven’t stopped laughing since.

But not everything has been funny, nor have I been able to get players to be honest with me. In fact, I often had to nod and smile when knowing that I was being lied to. Countless times Berenson would look a reporter in the face and talk about the parity in the CCHA or how Bowling Green was just as talented as Michigan.

And there were also things that I wish I hadn’t seen – in addition to crying, naked hockey players after the Frozen Four loss in 2002.

During an icebreaker event at freshman orientation, a football player from the Deep South exposed his unawareness of the liberal setting of Ann Arbor. When asked what his pet peeve was, the player went into deep thought and came out with an answer in a heavy Southern drawl that surprised everyone in the room – “gay people.” As jaws throughout the room dropped, the player expanded on his pet peeve until another player was finally able to step in and shut up the player expounding on his peeve.

There were also factual errors that we never owed up to. On Feb. 13, 2003, it was reported that the Michigan basketball team was the only loser against Indiana. But in fact, the Hoosiers also suffered a loss that night, in the form of a giant red cheerleading flag that several rabid and disgruntled Wolverine fans were seen removing from Assembly Hall hours after the game ended.

These are just a few of the memories that had never gotten into the Daily (before today), but they are in no way exclusive. They are incidents that are experienced by every sports fan at this school, and invoke the swelling of fuzzy feelings during the end of our Michigan experience.

We all recall with warm nostalgia the first time we entered Michigan Stadium as students, feeling as if we were a part of something bigger than ourselves. Nearly getting killed on a road trip, burning like a bad French souffl