Thermometers in Ann Arbor made it up as high as 10 degrees yesterday.

Despite the cold, though, some people still wanted ice cream. And there’s an upside to the frigid temperatures for ice cream eaters.

“People still buy ice cream and walk outside,” said Ben Meyer, a School of Dentistry student and Ben and Jerry’s ice cream scooper. “It won’t melt now, so you can put your mittens on and you don’t have to worry about it dripping on your hands.”

Highs about 20 degrees aren’t predicted until Friday.

Meyer said business is slower during the winter, but still steady.

“We still have die-hards,” he said. “It’s never too cold for ice cream.”

Even with the blistering cold, Ben and Jerry’s sold three ice cream cakes yesterday. One cake went to LSA sophomore Ashley Thomas, who bought it for a friend’s birthday.

“I thought it would be cute,” she said.

When asked if her friend would like the cake despite the temperature of the ice cream being warmer than the temperature outside, Thomas said, “She better.”

The cold may not be affecting only the ice cream business. Tobacco use may also be decreasing in the bitter chills of winter.

Forced to choose between nicotine and the allure of indoor heating, many have decided to curb their cravings until temperatures rise.

“You have to be really dedicated to be out in this weather,” LSA junior Chris Byrd said in between Camel Light puffs outside of Angell Hall. “I’m a little bit closer to the door today. When people come out you get a little burst of heat.”

While many smokers may have curbed their habit to stay warm, joggers are a different story.

Ann Arbor resident Jason Crosby, 28, is training for a marathon. He was jogging on State Street last night.

He said he likes the cold.

“If you have the appropriate clothing, it’s pretty comfortable,” he said. “The workout facilities at the University are crowded and stuffy. It’s better to be outside.”

Ann Arbor public schools closed the past two days because of the harsh conditions. According to the Detroit Free Press, 400 schools in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties also closed because of the cold.