A man suspected of attempting to abduct and assault two women last Sunday on Ann Arbor’s south side was arraigned and charged Friday on two counts of kidnapping and two counts of assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct.

The suspect, 40-year-old Ann Arbor resident Timothy Jon Case, is being held on a $1 million bond in the Washtenaw County Jail as he awaits his Sept. 17 pretrial examination.

Case, a local contractor, also faces charges for the delivery and manufacture of marijuana. Detectives found about a dozen marijuana plants in his home the day of his arrest.

Case lives with relatives on Burton Road, two miles from the intersection of Packard Street and Independence Boulevard, where the crimes occurred.

In the first incident, an attacker pulled a 20-year-old University student into the bushes on Independence Boulevard around 8:30 p.m. on Sunday. She fought free and ran away to a nearby home. About an hour later, a man drove up beside a 16-year-old girl jogging in the same area, punched her several times and pulled her into his van. She jumped from the vehicle when he began to drive away.

Police suspect the same man was responsible for both assaults.

Ann Arbor Police Officer Eric Ronewicz said he recognized the descriptions of Case from a prior arrest.

Ronewicz said he visited Case’s home on a hunch Monday and found a van in the driveway that matched the victim descriptions. He then tipped off detectives, who arrested Case in his home two days later.
Ross School of Business graduate student Nemanja Babic, who lives off Independence Boulevard, said he and his friends were shocked to learn about the crimes.

“We had a party here that night, and everyone freaked out because this is Ann Arbor,” he said. “This doesn’t happen in Ann Arbor.”

Ann Arbor resident Mike Mahon, who lives on Independence Boulevard with his wife and 3-month-old son, said the incidents were a harsh reminder for the community not to take the neighborhood’s safety for granted.

“It’s been a hot topic of conversation in the neighborhood for the past week,” he said. “You learn from these things, and it helps to realize that even though it’s an isolated incident, that the potential is there and that you have to be safe.”