The premise — a police officer blinded in the line of duty fights to get both his respect and his job back. He goes through many trials and tribulations, but finally demonstrates that he is fully capable of being a detective with a loaded gun. Seems like an odd setup, yet ABC expects its primetime audience to swallow this pill without choking on its obvious flaws.The story of Jim Dunbar (Ron Elrond, “Ghost Ship”) in “Blind Justice” does accomplish its goal of grabbing the attention of the viewer. Dunbar works hard to prove to both himself and his fellow officers that he is still capable of doing his job after an act of bravery leaves him blind. He also struggles with past infidelities in his troubled marriage with his wife, Christie (Rena Sofer, “Melrose Place”). When he is partnered with young female detective Karen Bettancourt (Marisol Nichols, “Vegas Vacation”), who is trying to prove herself capable as well, but does not want to be hindered by his disability, they form an interdependent partnership.What makes “Blind Justice” lose its credibility are the obvious oversights in realism in the premise of the show. The idea of a disabled cop returning to work is believable, but the idea of a blind cop getting his job back is far fetched. Another obvious zing is the idea that he can carry a loaded gun because of a liability waiver — this comes off as ridiculous. The disregard for reality is enough to make audiences uneasy about their own police departments.Though many aspects of the show are hard to fathom, “Blind Justice” maintains a fair amount of credibility by pointing out many of its oversights. For instance, fellow detectives Marty Russo (Frank Grillo, “The Shield”) and Tom Selway (Reno Wilson, “Fallen”) challenge Dunbar and express serious concerns at the possibility of a blind man covering them in a situation of crisis. Actual life peers through the melodrama as Dunbar’s boss, Lieutenant Gary Fisk (Michael Gaston, “Ransom”), tries to keep him from high-profile and dangerous jobs because of his disability.The saving grace of this show may be the acting talents of Elrond and Nichols. Elrond rises to the challenge of playing the role of a blind man. He makes Jim into a strong, independent, yet vulnerable character that knows when to ask for help. Nichols portrays Karen as a street-smart girl who is struggling to prove herself. The chemistry between the two makes the show interesting. “Blind Justice” is a decent show with a premise that keeps the audience’s attention. Its stylized cinematography gives the viewer the opportunity to visualize the crime scene with Dunbar’s other senses and gives it a unique edge over other crime dramas on television. Though melodramatic at times, this show is a good watch if the viewer is able to suspend disbelief and take the premise at face value. For those viewers out there who want their dosage of realism in drama, “Blind Justice” is not the pill for you.

TV/New Media Reviews
Just like “Law & Order,” except it gets a special parking spot. (Courtesy of ABC)

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars