Students and Ann Arborites still mourning the loss of Borders will have the opportunity to pick through over 20,000 used books at Washtenaw Community College this weekend, when the Ann Arbor branch of the American Association of University Women hosts its annual book sale.

AAUW Used Book Sale

Tonight from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m
Washtenaw Community College
Free

In its 60th year, the sale’s profits are given as scholarships to graduating high school women in the area. The girls selected as scholarship recipients are typically the first in their families to attend college.

Cheryl Gibbs, co-chair of the book sale this year, said over 100 of the AAUW’s 300 members help collect, clean, organize and sell the books each year. Last year, the event raised over $40,000.

“There is a lot of pride and organization about people doing this,” Gibbs said. “We are all college graduates, so we see the value and we want to promote that with other women.”

Gibbs explained that there is often an “overflow” of books donated, and the ones not selected for the sale are recycled or given to other AAUW branches. The sale has received as many as 50,000 donations but can only keep about 20,000.

“We’re really into recycling and reusing through our sale,” Gibbs said.

Book prices typically range from $1 to $6. Attendees who want first pick-through can pay $15 to enter the sale from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. today. After 10 a.m., entrance is free.

Earline Hefferlin, president of the Ann Arbor AAUW, has been participating in the book sale for over 20 years. She said she often finds Christmas gifts for relatives at the sale.

“Anything … (students) want to read, we’ll probably have it there,” Hefferlin said. “It’s a great buying opportunity.”

And if money is tight, books will be half-priced Saturday and sold by the bag on Sunday.

Hefferlin said that over the years, her favorite memories have been engaging with other AAUW members while working.

“It’s nice to get a broader acquaintance,” she said. “We’re working hard together … this is a different venue for us than our more formal occasions and so I really enjoy that.”

The most difficult part of organizing past years’ sales was finding a venue to rent out. Recently, space has been donated by Brixmor Property Group, giving the committee one less headache — though there are always some challenges.

“I have memories of stacks of books falling over and needing to be picked up and repacked,” Hefferlin said. “Fortunately, no one was hurt.”