Ann Arbor Fire Department crews from all five of the city’s stations responded shortly after 6:30 p.m. after a fire broke out at Broadway Auto Care at 1026 Broadway Street, near the University’s Kellogg Eye Center.

In an interview at the scene of the fire, Assistant Fire Chief Steven Lowe said AAFD firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it spread to other buildings. There were no injuries reported by either employees or firefighters and the cause was unknown, according to Lowe.

Ann Arbor Police officers blocked eastbound traffic on Broadway Street from Maiden Lane to the junction of North Division Street and Beakes Street. Two ambulances were also on scene.

According to Lowe, AAFD received a call from bystanders who witnessed the fire. When crews arrived, Lowe said they witnessed “heavy fire” coming from two of the shop’s three repair bays, as flames crawled up the back of the store and the windows.

DTE Energy employees also shut off the store’s natural gas and electric lines. Lowe said the utilities were turned off to prevent further harm to the building or responding firefighters.

Once visible fires were extinguished, firefighters punctured the building’s walls to ensure that no flames remained. The building suffered serious damage and three cars that were located inside the bays at the time of the fire appear to be destroyed.

Lowe said the AAFD will be investigating the cause of the fire.

“One of our fire investigators will follow up with an investigation to try to pinpoint what exactly happened,” Lowe said.

Store employees declined to comment about the fire.

— Online Editor Zach Bergson contributed to this report.